I love the idea of drawing; not just because I’m a lover of the arts but because by focusing on my drawing I improve my observation skills. I’m also an advocate of drawing as a way to communicate ideas, reflections and voice.
The very art of drawing assists one in refining how they see. Observational drawing specifically encourages one to refine how one looks – proportion, perspective, shapes, design, relationships, and line are some of the areas that are required. The more you draw the more refines you become in how you see.
In thinking about why I draw, I considered the ideas of:
- develop observation skills
- refine details you see
- focuses the mind
- relaxes mind chatter
- clarifies what it is I’m actually looking at
- skills development in the arts as all art forms derive from drawing
- experiment and explore materials for different effects
- develop a great sense of perspective
- develop ideas
- reflect on experiences
- communicate ideas
- share voice
- design possibilities
- problem solve
- show connections
Do you draw?
Why do you draw?
How do you find drawing assists you in your thinking and communication of ideas?