It has come to that time of year where treats are on show! So I have set myself the challenge to reconnect with my Nana’s baking lessons from when I was a child and cook up some treats this time with gluten free and dairy free twists.
Here’s my adaption for a Gingerbread recipe I found in one of those free supermarket cook magazines.
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup rice malt syrup or golden syrup
2 ½ cups gluten free plain flour
1 tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1 level tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- Melt Nuttelex, brown sugar and malt syrup or golden syrup in a saucepan stirring until smooth. Leave to the side a cool.
- Whisk egg and butter mixture together in a bowl.
- Sift flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda until the mixture is mixed and smooth
- Roll into several medium sized balls, over with cling wrap and rest in fridge for 30-40 minutes until firm,
- Roll out dough ½ to 1 centimeter in thickness.
- Cut into shapes and place onto a baking tray.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked and lightly browned.
- Cool on tray for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Optional – decorate with icing and lollies to give the gingerbread men some bling.